13 thoughts on “Coal mine at Burnetts Face, Denniston

1. Mike Walsh November 24, 2010 / 7:06 pm

Hello to all, I would like to say that my Grandmother on my Mothers side was born at Burnetts Face Mine. My Great Grandfather, Named Price came over from Newcastle NSW in search of work. He was a Rope Splicer. What we can find our is that my grandmother was 2 yrs when they came back to Newcastle. If anyone can help me find out more I would be more that pleased to say the least. Mike

• David June 24, 2016 / 1:55 pm

omg Alfred Herbert ?

• David June 24, 2016 / 1:57 pm

Would that happen to be Alfred Herbert ?

2. Annette Goodwin June 25, 2011 / 1:26 am

Hello, I would also like some information regarding the McKinlay side of my family, my great grandmother, Jessie McKinlay and 4 of her sons all went to work at Burnetts Face Mine, she came back to Scotland after an earthquake in the early 1900’s, 3 sons stayed and the youngest came home with her.
    Like Mike, any information would be much appreciated, thank you, Annette

• eyles November 28, 2012 / 4:51 pm

ANNETTE. IF YOU HAVE NOT ALREADY DONE SO YOU CAN YOU CAN RING YVONNE Mc KINLAY ON 03 544 9021 AT 5 MELIA PLACE ARBOR LEA RICHMOND NELSON FOR A FULL COPY OF THE McKINLAY FAMILY TREE.I AM A GRANDAUGHTER OF YOU MOTHERS BROTHER JOHN Mc KINLAY..REGARDS SHIRLEY ANN EYLES NEE SCHAFER .MY MOTHER WAS HILDA MAY McKINLAY FROM MILLERTON

3. Gary McNair November 24, 2011 / 3:51 pm

Hello, I am also interested in the family of my grandmother Amy Catherine Kelly who was born at Denniston and had a brother Sydney who was a school teacher at Wellington I think. There were other siblings, but I don’t have names. She married John Robert McNair, they had six children and lived for most of their married life in the township of Leeston in Canterbury. I visited Denniston prior to moving to Australia in about 1980 and all the contacts I had have moved on.. Any information about my family or indeed the mine itself would be most welcome. Thanks Gary

• Anonymous March 24, 2016 / 6:12 pm

Hi Gary, My husband is a descendant of the Kelly Family and I have followed the Kelly family history from the time Patrick Kelly came to New Zealand in 1847 . But by now you have probably got information since your query was in 2011. You can email me on zakery1956@gmail.com Zelda Kelly, New Zealand

• Jenny Layton October 27, 2016 / 8:05 pm

Hi Gary, I am looking for a man with your name in his mid 70’s who had parents that lived in Ashburton, Canterbury, NZ. Any help would be appreciated.

4. David June 24, 2016 / 2:01 pm

Mike walsh i also have grand mothe Prive grand father rope splicer i have a copy of birth certificate

5. Elaine J. Cunningham January 29, 2019 / 11:38 am

Anyone know anything about the Little family who worked at the coal mine Burnetts Face
    I would appreciate information. My husband Mum was Mary Jane Little born there.

Do you have any thoughts about this post or image?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s